For thousands of Saskatchewan youth, the 4-H Club was their first contact with the University of Saskatchewan.
A popular activity among 4-H club members was the raising of animals and the cultivation of crops for competition. This image is of an unidentified group of 4-Hers with their potatoes proudly displayed at their feet.
In 1910 the provincial Department of Agriculture turned over to the U of S responsibility for the development and delivery of agricultural extension programs throughout the province.
Within five years “educational holidays” or “camps” were initiated for farm boys and girls.
In 1918 4-H clubs were formed throughout Saskatchewan. These clubs were centrally administrated by Extension.
In addition to the appointment of judges and the organization of events, Extension acted as a clearing house, co-ordinating efforts and giving advice on policies and program direction.
By 1970 the role of the Extension division had changed considerably.
It was still involved in preparing program material, conducting the provincial selections and operating programs at Camp Rayner, but was no longer involved in club events. Direct contact with clubs was maintained through monthly mailing of the 4-H "Leader's Bulletin" and the 4-H quarterly, “Focus.”
4-H became autonomous of the university in 1985 and moved off campus.