${vImageAlt}
University Archives & Special Collections, An [Engineering] employee posing next to the "Electronic Brain," a large computer. July 1960. A-8964. (Patrick Hayes)

Campus community

Electronic Brain

The first digital computer on campus, the LGP-30, was installed in the basement of the Crop Science Building in 1957.

The following year Arthur Porter was appointed the Dean of the College of Engineering at the University of Saskatchewan. He had worked under Douglas Hartree, a computer software pioneer, at the University Manchester in the 1930s and again during the Second World War in the Ministry of Supply.

Though Porter was at the U of S only for five years, he moved the U of S headlong into the computer age. He secured funding, set up a computer research group and raised the profile of the computer through the press and public lectures.