For almost six decades the Agricultural Extension Bulletins or Technical Bulletins were a dynamic part of the University of Saskatchewan’s contact with the public.
In 1910, the Saskatchewan Department of Agriculture turned over to the university responsibility for the development and delivery of agricultural and women’s extension programs throughout the province.
To fulfill this mandate, the Department of Agricultural Extension (1910) and Women’s Work (1913) were established within the College of Agriculture.
The bulletin pictured here is #21 from 1924 showing the university’s winter beehives — the Administration Building, completed in 1987, now occupies the site.
The first or # 1bulletin, Soil Nitrogen and Legume Inoculation, was published in 1921. The final bulletin #555, Propagation For the Home Gardener, was produced in 1988.
Several titles were updated and reissued as new knowledge and techniques developed. Topics included animal husbandry, engine and machinery maintenance, farm electrification and household management.