This photo taken around 1940 features two members of The Sheaf staff.
The man seated at the desk is working at a typewriter while the other is looking at a printer’s block for a photo illustration.
The Sheaf, which began publishing in November 1912, started as a monthly magazine that focused on serious political and social issues. The only references to campus events came each April in the Graduation Number, which was a yearbook-like summary of the students, athletics, colleges and events of the previous year.
In 1920 The Sheaf changed format and began publishing as a weekly newspaper. Campus news and events soon became a prominent feature although political and social issues were still discussed.
The paper is treasure trove of university history and shifting social and political trends.
Because students come and go, the tone and focus of The Sheaf changes from year to year — sometimes political sometimes not; sometimes revolutionary, sometimes conservative.