In the 1920s students were required to take two years of Physical Training in addition to their regular classes. There were three lectures and five practice periods per week.
Below are the details as printed in the 1924-25 Calendar:
- Lectures on the general structure and functions of the human body with a view to an understanding of the uses of the various physical exercises and to a satisfactory preparation for the later teaching of the subject.
- Lectures on the theory of educational gymnastics.
- Practice teaching with written criticism; free standing and apparatus in Swedish gymnastics; folk dancing, practical work and class teaching; coaching in basketball and other indoor games; teaching and supervision of swimming.
A certificate of proficiency will be granted to those who successfully pass the above course.
Facilities for Physical Training are provided by the University, and, as far as these facilities will permit, all students are required to take some form of physical exercise. Participation in sports, military drill and gymnastic exercises are approved forms.
The above image is a “Certificate of proficiency” for Mary Gladys Moffatt of Regina, dated May 2, 1925. She earned a BA the following year. The University employed two physical training instructors — E.W. Griffiths for the men and Janet Crawford for the women.