The first class conducted on campus was the Gasoline Traction Engine Short Course in March 1912.
Classes in Arts and Sciences had already been offered for two years, first at the Drinkle Building in downtown Saskatoon and then at Nutana Collegiate and Victoria School.
This extension offering was directed by G.R. Grieg, professor of Farm Mechanics, Rural Engineering and superintendent of buildings.
In 1910 the Saskatchewan Department of Agriculture turned over to the university the responsibility for developing and delivering agricultural and women’s extension programs throughout the province.
To fulfil this mandate, the departments of Agricultural Extension (1910) and Women’s Work (1913) were established within the College of Agriculture. Initially the activities of Agricultural Extension focused on services to the Agricultural Societies — short courses, meetings and conferences, plowing matches, field crop contests, stock judging, etc.
This photo was taken in front of the newly completed Engineering Building.
In 1912 three competing technologies in farm machinery (steam, kerosene and gasoline) were fighting it out in the marketplace.