Several members of the University in a quiet way have been doing very valuable research work — how valuable few of us realize.” — 1916-17 President’s Report.
The post-war period saw the University of Saskatchewan at the forefront of nuclear physics in Canada, and the Department of Physics had built for itself a reputation based on experimentation and innovation.
Written on the back of the above photo was the following: “Using equipment for monitoring heart action, designed by C. Lawrence of Weyburn on the right, studying under B.A. Holmlund in the centre, with the device being tested on V. Alfred on the left from Redvers, Saskatchewan.”
On July 11, 1967, the University's Institute of Space and Atmospheric Studies in co-operation with Bristol Aero-Space Industries Ltd. of Winnipeg sent up two Black Brant 3 rockets from the Churchill Research Range.
Written on the back of this 1959 photograph by John W. Gibson is “Cereal Chemistry Research Lab — Mr. R Teed operating Kjeldahl nitrogen analysis apparatus.”
In 1963 the head of the University of Saskatchewan’s Department of Cancer Research, Joseph F. Morgan, and the head of the Department of Anatomy, Sergey Federoff, combined forces to organize the International Tissue Culture Course.