Four decades before the province enacted a system of universal health services, University of Saskatchewan students began a system of health insurance on campus.
President Walter Murray described the plan in his 1925-26 annual report:
“Two years ago the Students Representative Council inaugurated a Benefit Fund for the relief of students who received injuries while participating in University sports. The Fund has proved so beneficial that next year provision will be made to enlarge the Fund to cover sickness as well as accidents. The University has also undertaken to make greater provision for the medical examination and care of the students.”
The initial fee was $2 per student, rising to $3 for the more comprehensive plan.
That same year Dr. Murray noted:
“There has been much serious illness among the students during the past session. An epidemic of mumps was followed by another of measles. A larger number than usual went to the hospital for serious operations. Death came to three students and to Mrs. Grant, who had been living with her daughter, the Superintendent of Qu'Appelle Hall.”
In 1928 a daily clinic was established in Saskatchewan Hall from 11 a.m. to noon.
The image circa 1934 shows a group of students and a nurse outside Saskatchewan Hall, with two students holding Communicable Disease certificates.