The first University of Saskatchewan Convocation met in 1908, a full year before the start of classes.
It was through this body that the chancellor and senate would be elected. The senate and the government would then establish the Board of Governors who would in turn appoint a president.
Since convocation is made up of graduates and the U of S had yet to hold its first class, a convocation had to be created.
It was to "consist of all graduates of any university in his Majesty’s dominions who are actually residing in the province three months prior to the date fixed for the first meeting of Convocation."
In early September 1907, 299 graduates were registered. Though convocation was scheduled to meet in the autumn, it did not meet until early 1908. This delay did not prevent the election of the senate and chancellor, however, because that process was conducted through the mail.
The first convocation to grant earned degrees was held in 1912 at the Collegiate Institute (Nutana Collegiate). The next year it moved to Convocation Hall in the newly completed College Building.
In 1931 the ceremony moved off campus to the larger facilities of Third Avenue United Church. Convocation moved back to campus in 1950 to the “University Gymnasium” in the newly completed Physical Education Building.
Other than a few Special Convocations, the ceremony has been held at the Saskatoon Centennial Auditorium (TCU Place) since 1968.
The photo depicts graduands at convocation on May8, 1936.