In August 1924, the U of S hosted the meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science.
The meeting was held in conjunction with the opening of the Chemistry Building and was part of a western Canadian tour that included stops in Saskatoon, Edmonton and Vancouver.
The trip was made using CPR rail coaches and was designed to give members a “comprehensive view of the west.”
Members “belonging to all the sections of the Association” travelled together and represented both British and Canadian members. The Association’s chemical section met formally in Saskatoon while the botany section met in Edmonton.
The above photo is from the reception for the British members on the lawn adjacent to the Dean of Agriculture’s Residence (now the Faculty Club). J.B. Rutherford, son of Dean William Rutherford, in the right-hand corner of photo is taking pictures of the crowd.